St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx
The Church of St. Augustine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1183 Franklin Avenue between East 167th Street and East 168th Street in the Morrisania neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City.
The church was built 1894 to the designs of architect Louis H. Giele with Baroque Revival and Renaissance Revival design elements. It was dedicated in 1895 by the Archbishop of New York. The parochial school nearby was completed in 1904. The AIA Guide to New York City (2010) describes the architecture as "Renaissance and Baroque elements combine in this somber but imposing facade. The parish school across the street to the north is distinguished by glazed blue and white terra-cotta sculpture set into the tympanum of its Classical pediment." Plans were filed by owner the Augustine Society of Tompkinsville, Staten Island, in April 1906 for a site on the southeast of Andrew Avenue, 200 feet south of Fordham Road. The structure would be a two-storey brick school, 54x100 feet, to the designs by architect J. O'Connor for $50,000. The church developed leaks and was deemed unsafe in the summer of 2009 with worship service continuing in the auditorium of St. Augustine's Parochial School. Funds from the school have been helping pay the church building's upkeep. The Rev. Thomas Fenlon, the present pastor of the church, has been seeking a developer to demolish St. Augustine’s Church and build affordable housing on the site, constructing a new smaller church next door.
1183 Franklin Avenue
New York, NY 10456-4305